What CYO is all about.
We live in a mixed up world, where there is much good, plenty of bad and a whole lot of confusing stuff in between.
Keeping ones bearings requires a compass. CYO's goal is to be that compass, guiding teens toward authentic love for Christ, His Church and the Sacraments. Teaching values and ideals centered in Truth. Through sharing, singing, praying, laughing, crying and serving, teens learn these truths. Then, guided by Christ's love, they can find the strength and Grace to live in this life.
Our journey together is just the beginning of their life-long journey towards Christ.
Regardless of what teens do or where they go, their Catholic faith will help them be a person others are happy to know. Their faith will bring them more joy in life than they would otherwise have, and when teens feel that joy they will know God is who they need to thank. It won't save them from trials or suffering, but it will help them to rely on God for the strength only HE can give.
CYO will help teens to LIVE YOUR CATHOLIC FAITH with passion and conviction. Ultimately finding THE REASON FOR THE FAITH THAT IS IN THEM.
SCYO - Grades 9-12
What does SCYO do?
All activities are focused on deepening your relationship with Christ, the church and Her teachings on faith as well as moral and social issues we encounter in the world today. Through innovative teaching approaches, prayer and small group activities teens learn what it means to live out their Catholic faith in day to day life.
- Sunday Nights: Dinner with friends, opportunity for fellowship, worship and community building with Catholic Students your age.
- Wednesday Nights: Small group “Huddles” for guys and girls and combined group Bible Study. Each offers more opportunity for smaller group interaction and faith building on a deeper more personal level.
- Service Projects- East Alabama Food Bank “backpack program,” Habitat for Humanity, Christmas visit to Oak Park Assisted Living, Joy in a Box.
- Retreats and Trips –Archdiocese March for Life, Archdiocese Youth Conference, Opportunities for individual trips for students and their parents.
- When do they meet?
After the 5pm mass each Sunday from 6:00pm-8:00pm unless otherwise noted. Wednesday nights from 6pm-7pm for small group Huddles and 7pm-8pm for Bible Study.
- Where do they meet?
Sunday Nights: If you are coming from 5pm mass to dinner, meet in the parish hall at 6pm. We begin meeting at 6:30pm in the CYO room. The last door on the left before you get to the parish hall.
Wednesday nights we meet in the CYO room: No dinner is served, you are welcome to bring something with you. Light snacks and sodas are available.
- What is the cost?
The cost is $75 for one child and $100 for multiple children. This includes Sunday meals on meeting nights for the year. Checks can be made out to St. Michael’s CYO and turned into me or to the Parish Office.
- Where do they park if they are driving?
On Sunday nights at the east (back) entrance parking lot. Wednesday nights, anywhere you choose.
- Where do we pick them up?
On Sundays, due to 8pm mass, pick up is at the east(back) entrance.
- Can they bring a friend?
Certainly, we are happy to have them anytime.